Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you will use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a number? Just tap and drag it. How about a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
Here are some key features of "Codea":
· A full featured vector graphics and image renderer lets you prototype what you can imagine
· Lots of fantastic example projects to learn from, including games and simulations
· Generate random retro-game sound effects to use in your creations
· Touch your code: tap numbers, colors and images to adjust them
· Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from the keyboard
· Intelligent auto-completion suggests keywords and functions
· Add parameters to your simulation or game interface so you can tweak variables at runtime
· Interact with the accelerometer and multi touch on your device
· Codea renders your code with beautiful syntax highlighting
· iOS 5.0 or later
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
MAJOR NEW FEATURES:
· Shaders: Full access to GLSL shaders from the mesh class.
· Shader Lab: A full-featured GLSL shader editor with live preview and live variables.
· Camera: Stream from the cameras on your device straight into a sprite, capture them into an image, or even input them into a shader.
· Brand new Parameter system. Make buttons, color pickers, text boxes and more for the Codea sidebar.
· Vector sprite rendering. You can now load PDF files as sprites, which can be rendered at any size and still look sharp.
· Two great new vector sprite packs by Kenney.nl.
· Tween: The new tween library provides you with easy to use animations, paths, sequences and more.
· Blend Modes: Use the new blendMode() function for additive and multiplicative blending, or even set completely custom blend modes using the advanced parameters.
· Brand new Documentation Browser, copy sample code and use the sidebar for reference as-you-type.
· Completely re-architected Code Editor with built-in API guides.
· New Tools menu from the main screen lets you manage your assets.
· REPL built into the viewer. Type and execute simple expressions while your code is running.
· Six new example projects.
· saveProjectTab(), readProjectTab() and listProjectTabs() allow you to edit your own projects from code.
· isKeyboardShowing() function.
· Access to the device Gyroscope (if available) via the RotationRate global.
· Video recording speed improved.
· setContext() speed is much improved for common use cases.
· Improved autosave.
· New tab bar that scrolls off the screen to so there's more room for your code.
· Multiple Undos now supported (press the .?123 key on the keyboard to show the Undo button).
· Many UI improvements.
· Codea's UI is now translated into the following languages: German, French, Spanish, Catalan, Danish, Romanian, Finnish, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Polish, Russian, Slovak, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Portuguese (BR), Bahasa Indonesia, and Thai.
· Documentation is now available in Chinese (Simplified) and Romanian.
· setContext can now be used to render outside the viewport dimensions.
· Editor now scrolls to the first error message.
· Fixed issues that could arise when recording video on retina devices while using setContext().
· saveProject/Local/GlobalData no longer aggressively converts strings to numbers.
· Fixed bug in physics.raycast.
· Fixed bug in triangulate.
· Syntax highlighting on wrapped lines.
· API consistency improved.
· So many more.