FileScout is a file explorer for BlackBerry smartphones. In addition to its core functionality (browse the file system, create directories, copy, move, rename, zip, unzip, delete files, or open your media files directly, FileScout also allows you to open text files (including .ini, .xml, etc.) so you are able to edit, copy, and paste text segments of text.
Additionally FileScout allows you to manipulate images (resize & rotate), easily save and access your favorites, search for files, create playlists across multiple folders, send files via email or Bluetooth, archive your SMS & eMails and capture device screenshots.
FileScoutLite - the free alternative
In the past FileScout was available as Donationware. This concept was not understood by the majority of the users and as consequence FileScout now needs a Registration Code in order to use the full functionality of the application. As alternative a free FileScoutLite Version is offered. FileScoutLite is providing the basic file manager functionality. For the free FileScoutLite version no Registration Code is required. Simply download the FileScout Trial version and select Use free lite Version within the application.
Here are some key features of "FileScout":
· FileScout is a file system browser for your BlackBerry (including hidden files)
· Create directories, copy, move, rename, or delete files
· Zip and Unzip files or complete directory structures with your BlackBerry (no support for password protected zips) or browse the content of a Zip and extract only the required part(s)
· Copy and delete complete directory structures
· Open all media files (supported by your BlackBerry)
· Register additional file types with other (3rd party) applications (if supported)
· Open files (like ini, xml, etc.) as plain text so you can edit, mark, copy, and paste text fragments of files that normally can't be opened with your BlackBerry. This can become very valuable when you receive email attachments that are not normally supported by your BlackBerry
· Delete pre-installed wallpapers, videos, and ringtones in order to free memory on your device (not supported on OS5 or higher). Please note: once these files have been deleted, the only way to get them back is to hard reset your device!
· Display thumbnails for supported image files (for details check the configuration options)
· Search for files and directories on your BlackBerry device
· QuickFilter the current directory [no fully supported with Suretype or Multitouch Keyboard]
· Send any file as an email attachment to your BlackBerry contacts
· Send/receive any file(s) via Bluetooth to/from an another device that support OBEX
· Access your Dropbox: (via the FileScout Dropbox Plugin)
· Define list of favorite directories (as shortcuts)
· Show details for files & directories [modification date, is hidden, etc...]
· Image Viewer - browse though the images of a directory (incl. 'Next' & 'Previous' functionality)
· Text Editor that supports multiple encodings and include features like text search or auto-backup
· Resize (& rotate) images in order to save time and money when sending photos to your friends via your BlackBerry
· Create audio playlists (across multiple folders)
· eMail & SMS Archive Function
· Drive Usage Information (see which directory will use how many disk space)
· BlackBerry OS 4.3 or later
· 14 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· When on your BlackBerry device there are multiple ContentHandlers registered for a a file type (extension or mime type) then FileScout will prompt you with a dialog and allow you to select with which application you would like to open the file.