Backpacker brings the outdoors straight to the reader's doorstep, inspiring and enabling them to go more places and enjoy nature more often. The authority on active adventure, Backpacker is the world's first GPS-enabled magazine and website, and the only outdoor media whose editors and network of map contributors personally map the hiking trails they publish.
Backpacker’s GPS Trails iPhone app doubles as a portable trip database and personal navigation device for your outdoor lifestyle: hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, trail running, mountaineering, or for just basic trail navigation.
Note: Backpacker GPS Trails is designed and optimized for the iPhone 3GS and 3G. The 1st generation models lack a GPS chip required to run the application.
Here are some key features of "Backpacker GPS Trails":
· Locate trips: Search by name or park, or select from trails near your current location—more than 3,500 Backpacker-endorsed adventures across North America.
· Research trips: View fact-checked trail reports, complete with turn-by-turn directions, photos, and five map-viewing options. Use our trips to guide you on the trail.
· Plan trips: Draw routes with our free web-based map software (backpacker.com/postatrip), then send them wirelessly to your iPhone.
· Save and share your trip: Record unlimited tracks and points as you hike; on the way home, post them to backpacker.com wirelessly—no cord or experience needed.
· Geotag your photos, videos, and sound clips: Save coordinates with every image and see their exact location on a map.
· Turn your phone into a GPS: Navigate via precise satellite signals in and out of cell network.
· Save maps: Cache up to 500MB of topos for backcountry viewing.
· View stats: Calculate calories, speed, and distance.
· Upload GPS files: Load your own .gpx files (the standard file format for exchanging GPS files) at backpacker.com/postatrip and wirelessly send them to our GPS Trails app.
· Navigate on the trail: Our app integrates the iPhone’s built-in compass, so you can follow bearings or go to waypoints on the trail.
· Listen to music: Access your iTunes music while hiking, biking, running, or walking.
· Pick your coordinates: Choose lat/long or UTM and WGS 84 or NAD 27 then use GPS Trails for advanced navigation with traditional paper maps.
· Stay connected: Receive live app updates on new trails and navigation tips from Backpacker editors and contributors.
· iOS 5.0 or later
· Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Ability to purchase Mega Offline Maps.
· Track accuracy fixed in map screen.
· Miscellaneous bug fixes.