Where will the Sun rise and set today? Is there a Full Moon tonight? Where is the constellation Orion? Am I looking at a bright star or a planet? What are some fun facts about these objects?
SkyView is a powerful and easy-to-use application that answers these questions and more. Simply point the camera to the sky, tap on what you see and discover really neat things about these sky objects. SkyView is unique because it blends the camera view with incredible 3D graphics of the sky objects to provide a really neat Augmented Reality (AR) view of your sky.
SkyView helps you find planets, stars, constellations, and satellites. Type the name of the object and then simply follow the arrow until it appears in the camera view.
Here are some key features of "SkyView":
· Sky Paths - Select the Sun, Moon, or a planet and see its path through the sky for a 24 hour period. Move the camera along this path and see when and where this object will be compared to your horizon. It may even be below your feet.
· Change the Date and Time - Travel to the future or the past and see the sky on different dates and times! For example, use SkyView to see how the planets will align on interesting dates such as December 21st, 2012!
· Final NASA Space Shuttle Missions (Discovery, Endeavour, and Atlantis) - Use SkyView to witness history by viewing the final flights of the Space Shuttle Discovery, Endeavour and Atlantis as they streak across the night sky.
· Amazing 3D Graphics - Surround yourself with beautiful, 3D graphics of the Sun, Moon, planets, stars, constellations, and satellites as you point the camera to the sky.
· Stars and Constellations - Stargazing has never been so easy! Just aim and tap the screen to identify hundreds of stars in the night sky! Find your favorite constellations as they fade in and out of the camera view.
· Satellites - View the brightest satellites orbiting Earth including the International Space Station, the Hubble Space Telescope and the final Space Shuttle Missions! SkyView automatically retrieves current satellite orbital data (when available) so that your satellite viewing remains as accurate as possible!
· Search and Locate - Looking for the ISS? Trying to find the North Star? Want to witness a satellite flyby? Use the search feature to select an interesting object and then simply follow the arrow to find its location in the sky.
· Landscape Astronomy Mode - Rotate your iPhone or iPod Touch into landscape position to quickly transform SkyView into full screen astronomy mode to see real-time readouts of Right Ascension (RA), Declination (DEC), azimuth (AZ), and elevation (EL). Use the RA and DEC values to help set up your telescope.
· Compass and Horizon - SkyView displays convenient compass and horizon indicators right on the camera view! Simply point the camera down to see a compass or into the distance to view a horizon line. It’s very easy to see when and in what direction a sky object will be visible!
· Lots of interesting facts - SkyView has thousands of fun facts about our universe. Just touch the sky object and discover!
· Gyroscope Mode (iPhone 4 and iPod Touch only) - If you have an iPhone 4 or iPod Touch you can take advantage of the new gyroscope. Get incredibly smooth, responsive and precise camera views as you aim the camera all around!
· Augmented Reality (AR) - SkyView accurately blends and animates 3D images of the sky objects within the camera’s view no matter what direction you are pointing. This allows you to see distant objects such as Pluto up close and personal.
· iOS 5.0 or later
· Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad (3rd generation) and iPad Wi-Fi + 4G
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixes issue preventing some from sharing captured images to Facebook