Life in the Basque Country centers around food. Spread across the French and Spanish borderlands and wedged between the Atlantic and the Pyrenees, the land of the Basques is brimming with Michelin stars, tapas bars, and world-class restaurants. This app offers a practical gastronomical and cultural guide to this fascinating and ancient land as Mark Ayling takes readers to the nexus between venerable Basque traditions and latest culinary innovations they inspire. From medieval fishing ports to the gleaming Guggenheim, working-man taverns to the Michelin-starred restaurant of Juan Mari Arzak, The Basque Country: Cuisine and Culture has every angle of the Spanish Basque Country covered.
Whether you're in search of white linen dining experiences or the perfect “pintxo” (Basque tapas), this application makes sense of a seemingly endless gamut of restaurants, bars, and wineries. Use Mark's reviews to locate precisely what you seek and compare photos of plates to narrow down your choices and read up on the latest culinary currents in the most dynamic gastronomical center of Europe.
Hungry for more? Like with most things in the Basque Country, the first taste is never enough. So bite into this app and come see it for yourself.
Here are some key features of "Basque Country Cuisine & Culture":
· 200+ entries of restaurants, museums, nightlife, tapas bars, and historical sights
· 1000+ photos of each restaurant's dishes/decór to better inform your decision of where to eat
· Interactive maps of thee best bites nearest to you
· Detailed guide to “pintxo” (tapas) bars with photos of each pintxo and lists of the house specialties.
· Reviews of restaurants for every budget – from 3-course meals for 10€ to 15-course 200€-a-head blowouts
· Special section on Michelin-starred restaurants to help you decide what best suits your style and budget.
· Touristic and cultural sights with historical insight to demystify the ancient culture of the Basques.
· Menu Decoder to make sense of those difficult to pronounce Basque words!
· Reviews of 17 coastal villages so you can plan day trips or navigate the coastal road from Bilbao to San Sebastián.
· Save money with local €-saving secrets like the “pintxo pote,”the “menú degustación,” the “zurito” and much more...
· iOS 4.3 or later
· Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Dynamic updates – refreshes content within the app so you always have the latest
· Offline Content Settings - Control exactly how much space you use for offline content
· Software updates - reliability and performance improvements