See and be seen on your boat in Coastal Sea areas for a fraction of the cost of a conventional AIS system.
Lets you keep a watch on boats near you and others keep a watch on you using Boat Beacon maps and Global AIS systems like AIS Hub, Marine Traffic and Shipfinder. Does not require any external AIS transponder equipment.
Ideal for busy and popular coastal areas, harbours and ports up to 15 miles out to sea.
Designed by a Skipper for Skippers it can also be used on land so your friends and family can keep a weather eye on you.
Boat Beacon requires internet access to work. Most popular coastal areas in the US have cellular data access extending 12 or more miles out to sea. The UK has nearly complete coastal coverage out to 12 miles. AIS Ship data is provided by a network of voluntary AIS shore based stations. Some areas may not have AIS coverage.
N.B. This is not an AIS transponder. You will not be visible to other ships on their AIS systems unless they also use data from the same land based AIS networks.
You can use Boat Beacon without using the AIS transmit feature. AIS transmit requires a valid MMSI number assigned to show up on the various AIS map systems. If you don't have one for your boat you can normally get one for free.
Currently works with ShipFinder, MarineTraffic and AIS Hub (and other sites that use AIS Hub)
Here are some key features of "Boat Beacon":
· Updates position, heading and bearing of ships and boats near you using AIS every minute.
· Live Map view rotates with you so you can look in the direction of the ships on the map to see them.
· Collision avoidance using Closest Point of Approach (CPA) - highlights boats that are on a potential collision course.
· Transmits location in background mode too.
· Lets Friends and Family see where you are and where you're headed to on Boat Beacon and leading AIS systems like ShipFinder, Marine Traffic and AIS-Hub which have mobile apps and free web viewers available.
· Shows MMSI number to contact nearby boats on.
· Arm all the crews in a race with Boat Beacon and have real time updates on the race positions - inland or at sea.
· Keep a watch on the other boats in your flotilla when sailing in a group.
· iOS 4.3 or later
· Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Glympse location sharing added.
· Simplified "On my Boat" button to control position tracking and background location services
· Panning to extreme longitudes in Australia, New Zealand and Alaska improved.