Do you know this situation? You are sitting at the airport and want to have a quick look how the weather at your destination is. You take all your luggage and walk around the whole airport hall trying to find a display showing weather information of your place? After a long time walking you go back getting more and more frustrated but you still don't know what you want to know? Ok, I have never been in this situation because it is not so important. But it is nice to have ;-)
Other people who are sometimes in this situations could be happier if they have Mobile Weather installed on their S60 Smartphones ;-)
Mobile Weather (formerly Mobile Y! Weather) is a weather forecast client for S60 Smartphones that shows the current weather situation of hundreds of cities anywhere all around the world. It is available for Nokia S60 Second Edition (FP2 and FP3) and Third Edition devices. See the list of supported phones and which installation package is needed for your phone at the end of this page.
Note: Some phones reject the installation of uncertified SIS or SISX packages by default. If the installation aborts with a certificate error you must change the installation permission parameter in "App. Manager => Settings => Software installation" to "All".
* The IAP "vfd2-web-gprs" (Vodafone DE) seems to modify the returned XML contents of the HTTP body sometimes (I have never heard about this before). The XML document cannot be parsed and the location will not be updated. Workaround: Try to update the location again or choose "Vodafone Life" instead.
* Requests for some locations return XML documents that cannot be parsed. I must investigate what happens here. It seems that the web service returns an XML document without weather condition sometimes.
* In the 3rd edition version the browser can't be controlled once it is started. This is because Mobile Weather has an unprotected UID3 that doesn't allow to send messages to other processes. This would need the capability SwEvent that can only be given if the application is Symbian Signed.
* Applications for S60 3rd edition (SymbianOS 9.1) must be signed before they can be installed on a device. Mobile Weather is just "self signed" with a certificate that is valid for one year. After this year the application package will be rejected by the device. But don't worry. Just come back to this place and download the actual application.
Here are some key features of "Mobile Weather":
· The detail view shows information about the current weather of a location. This view contains the current temperature and weather condition, the wind direction and speed and the time and date of the last update. The XML API used for Mobile Weather provides a forecast for today and tomorrow only. Maybe this will be extended in one of the next versions to a five day forecast.
· With Mobile Weather you can create a list of locations you like to know the current weather for. All locations in the list can be updated together. The overview list shows the current weather of all locations in the list.
· Mobile Weather comes with a huge database containing a long list of cities in many countries all around the world, thus no network traffic is necessary to find a location. Just select an area (like continent or part of continent), the country and the city within the country. The Mobile Weather installation packages contain most countries all over the world. This requires about 750KB of space in phone memory or on a memory card. Actual memory cards have more than 256MB of memory so this shouldn't be a problem hopefully. If necessary I can provide installation packages with only a subset of countries e. g. of Europe, Asia or USA. Please send an email to info (at) ubahnstation (dot) net.
· Location lists of some countries can be quite long thus scrolling through a list of hundreds of entries would be frustrating. But lists can be filtered. Just type some characters of the city you would like to add until have found it or until the list is short enough for scrolling.
· Some parameters of Mobile Weather can be configured. The unit for degrees used for weather information requests (note: changing the unit will only have an effect when updating the loction list), the Internet Access Point to be used (GPRS/UMTS and WLAN Access Points are supported), close the connection after update or keep it open (select the option that best fits your data plan) and the update interval.
· Weather information of the locations in your list can be updated manually or automatically every 15 or 30 minutes or every 1 or 2 hours. When starting Mobile Weather in manual mode it will ask if the location list has to be updated.
· Symbian S60 2nd Edition FP2/FP3
· Symbian S60 3rd Edition
· 1.3MB free memory in phone memory or on memory card
· Access to the internet via GPRS/UMTS or WLAN (each update is about 2.5KB per location, check your data plan)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added missing locations (Carribean countries and locations in Brazil)
· Moving locations up and down in the location list
· Locations can be removed with (C) key now
· (3rd edition) Corrected layout (characters with underlength were cut)
· (3rd edition) Labels are now visible when using skins with dark background