PinPoint Lightning gives you up-to-the-moment push notifications of lightning strikes near your geo-located position. It is the only application with live lightning strike data and APNS push notifications.
Why PinPoint Lightning?
Lightning is the #2 weather killer in the US, causing more deaths than tornadoes and hurricanes combined. Whether you are an outdoor enthusiast, golfer, motorcyclist, pilot or soccer coach, knowing when lightning strikes nearby can help you decide when to take cover.
PinPoint Lightning uses patented technology to show the time and distance of the latest lightning strike from your location. View the street-level location of the latest lightning strike. Zoom to the national view to see active radar in the USA. Rotate the phone horizontally to view FULL-SCREEN radar maps. Save up to 10 cities for quick viewing of lightning strike data. (Lightning alerts are generated only for the user’s GPS location.)
New for 2011
· Choose your notification radius. Select 15, 20 or 30 miles from your GPS location.
· New alert sounds. Choose from 4 different audio alerts or set to vibrate.
· Advanced snooze features. Select your specific snooze duration, from 30 minutes to 24 hours.
· Color-coded home screen. Background is blue when no lightning alerts are active in your area, red if lightning alerts are present.
· Lightning Loop. Animate the data and see each individual lightning strike on the map, along with the time it occurred.
Additional App Information
· Lightning strike data is available ONLY for USA and Canada. (Not including Alaska or Hawaii.) Lightning data for Canada is provided by Environment Canada.
· This app uses GPS positioning to ensure that lightning alerts are based on the user’s current location. (Note that when the user closes the app, it records the last known GPS position and sends lightning alerts for that location while the app is off. When the user re-opens the app, it newly geo-locates the user and updates the APNS server to send alerts for the new GPS position.)
· The National Lightning Detection Network (NLDN) provides the lightning strike data for use in the app. At some times, NLDN data may not be available because of technical outages or unavailability of the service, communications or internet outages or delays, or other conditions beyond the control of NLDN and/or application provider. The timely availability of notices from the application is not guaranteed.
· Users receiving a lightning alert immediately should move to a safe location. Users of this app are responsible for their own personal safety.
· iOS 4.0 or later
· Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
· PinPoint Lightning 2011 includes a lightning data subscription through March 31, 2012. After that date, the 2011 PinPoint Lightning app will cease operation and the 2012 app will be available for purchase.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed expiration issue
· Updated the app for iOS 4.3